Mitchell College Logo

Prior Learning Assessments (PLA)

Don't start over, get the credit you deserve

Have you acquired knowledge through work and life experience that might be termed "competencies"? If so, there are options available to validate this prior knowledge by granting credit through prior learning assessments (PLA). When students realize they have already acquired college level material, they are motivated to finish that degree — in fact, two and a half times more than those without PLA credit, saving them time and money in the process. Mitchell College grants college credit through multiple PLA options. Recognized by national accrediting agencies, PLAs are evaluated by the Registrar for application towards a Mitchell College degree, or via the College Board for transfer elsewhere, and include the following:

  • CLEP: Mitchell College is now a test site for the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP). Mitchell is an OPEN host site where test takers do not have to be an enrolled Mitchell student to take a CLEP exam at the College. To schedule a CLEP exam at Mitchell College, follow the steps below.
    1. See the list of CLEP exams Mitchell College accepts for credit
    2. Register for your CLEP Exam (Through the College Board Website)
    3. Use The Mitchell College CLEP Test Center Admission Form to set a time for your exam. Contact if you need an expedited exam.
  • ECE: Excelsior College Examinations - Learn More
  • TECEP: Thomas Edison State College Examination Program - Learn More
  • DANTES: Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) for uniformed service members - Learn More
  • CAEL Learning Portfolio: Council for Adult and Experiential Learning/

    Mitchell College is a new affiliate of the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) and offers two options for step-by-step portfolio development, all online. Visit

  • AP: Advanced Placement with a minimum exam grade of 3 from 13 options


Consider your prior learning assessment options. Meet with an academic or faculty advisor or email the Registrar:

For more information, contact the office of Adult and Continuing Education,